Pages

5.13.2013

Chicago, Day 1

Sorry I'm already 1.5 days behind (it's still technically Sunday night so I'm not completely late on that post... yet).

Saturday was a whirlwind of a day for the most part... here's a brief overview:
-- Got up at 4am eastern time, went to RDU, wheels up at about 6:45am
-- Arrived at O'Hare around 7:45am, and hopped on the L to head downtown. Also discovered that the L station at O'Hare has some AWESOME lighting:


-- Got to my hotel room (on the 38th floor) and saw my first legit view over the city.
-- Discovered that Chicago has 2 or 3 layers of streets at some points... streets under streets. Kinda crazy, but makes traffic flow better from what I've seen.


-- Rode the L up to Evanston (suburb about 15 miles north of downtown), and hung out with my dad's cousin and his daughter (mom and the other siblings were somewhere in Missouri). Had fun catching up with them and seeing a musical at Northwestern Univ.


-- Found The Bean. Also found a group of kids who looked like they were geared up for Prom Night (or some such occasion) getting pictures taken around The Bean:


-- Walked down to the planetarium to hopefully get a good skyline shot, and wasn't thrilled with the result. Went back towards Millenium Plaza to get some dinner, and figured out the skyline shot - use The Bean!



-- And finally, enjoyed my first taste of Chicago-style pizza. My choice: the Stuffed Chicago Classic from Giordano's. In order of layers: a thick pie-style crust, pepperoni, cheese, sauteéd onions, peppers, and mushrooms, more cheese, and a killer pizza sauce. Assembled backwards(ish), but it was good. Also, 1/3 of a 9" diameter pizza and I was stuffed - terrific bang for your pizza buck. Highly recommended!


-- Went back to my room, considered writing this blog post, and ended up crashing. Sunday is a story for another day. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment